We live in a fallen world full of imperfect people who have hurt us and will continue to harm us, for as long as you live on this earth, chances are very high that you will be disappointed and heartbroken. Jesus says “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Jesus has overcome and through his name, we can be healed from heart aches, traumas and disappointments.
Psalm 147:3 says “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds” Jesus’s mission is not leave you broken hearted but rather that you open up your life so that he heals you. Isaiah 61:1 says “The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners,
John 14:18 says “I will never leave you as orphans, I will come to you”. All the above scriptures suggest that God heals the broken hearted, and if you have truly surrendered to him, it is sure that God has healed you! Below are some of the indicators which show that your broken heart has been healed.
- You are quick to Forgive; when people wrong you, you never want to hold grudges but you always desire to forgive and let go, this is very helpful for you because forgiveness frees you from wrong emotions like anger, bitterness and jealousy which can control and lead you into sin, Cain was angry with Abel because God was pleased with Abel’s offering and displeased with his, Cain killed his brother because of anger! If you are quick to forgive, it means you are mature and you no longer want to be controlled by Anger. The Bible says in Ephesians 4:26 that “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, there are people who hold onto unforgiveness for years and decades, but God wants you to forgive so that you are free!
- You are Happy for other people’s success; many times jealousy creeps in whenever you see someone making more achievements than you are making, the same happened to Cain in the Bible, he became jealous when his young brother’s offering was accepted and his gifts disapproved! We are one body of Christ, if something good happens in the life of a sister or brother; we ought to rejoice with them the Bible says in Romans 12:15 that “Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn”, if something good is happening in the life of another, rejoice with them, in due season, they too will rejoice with you.
- You Love unconditionally; when your heart has been healed, you understand God’s unconditional love towards you, with that knowledge, you love others unconditionally. You should not love people because of what how they look, what they can give you or how they treat you, You love them without expecting anything from them, Jesus loved tax collectors, prostitutes and all sorts of sinners, his love for them transformed them! If your heart has been healed, you will be able to love people, who hurt you, because in doing so, you will be loving like Jesus. The Bible says in Romans 12:9(NLT) “Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good”
- You are submissive to authority: 1st Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. If you can submit yourself to God, then you are able to submit to earthly authorities, God implores us in several scriptures to be submissive to parents, rulers, husbands, wives, and to God. A humble heart is a healed heart! It is open to give respect more than receiving respect, when your heart is healed; you desire to serve others rather than being served.
- You focus on the Future rather than on past hurts; Isaiah 43:18 (NIV) “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. It is very difficult to erase a bad memory but it’s in your power to keep yourself from focusing on it Your primary focus should be on the good things God is doing rather than the bad things people have done to you! Philippians 4:8 says Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things.